Violations Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday from 8:30 am until 4:00 pm
Court Days from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm
***No cell phones or video recording devices are allowed at the violations window!***
Bridgewater Municipal Court Dates:
First and Third Tuesday of every month – 8:30 am
Every Wednesday – 8:30 am
Somerville Municipal Court Dates:
Are held on alternate Thursdays at 8:30 am
PLEASE BE ADVISED: WE NO LONGER HAVE NIGHT COURT!
Beginning April 1, 2014 Somerville Court will be relocated to Bridgewater.
What I should expect when I go to court?
- When you get to court, check the bulletin board for your name on the court list and have a seat in the courtroom. Should your name not appear on the list go to the Violations Bureau window.
- Prior to entering the courtroom, please turn off or silence your cell phone.
- Do not bring unnecessary items or bags. All bags will be searched prior to entering the courtroom.
- No food or drink is allowed in the courtroom.
- The proceedings are sound recorded, so please remain quiet until it is your time to address the court.
- The judge will give an opening statement explaining court procedures, defendants’ rights and penalties.
- Cases are called in the following order:
- Pleas of not guilty with an attorney
- Pleas of not guilty without an attorney
- First appearance or guilty pleas
- A case may be postponed to give you time to obtain representation by a private attorney or by the public defender (if you qualify) and prepare your defense.
- If your case involves a dispute between you and another individual, you may be required to participate in a discussion with a mediator in an attempt to settle the dispute without going in front of the judge.
Information on Traffic Summonses
If you plan to plead not guilty to a traffic summons you must notify the Court of your intention prior to the date at the bottom of the ticket. You will be re-set for court at which time you will be given the opportunity to speak with the prosecutor before going to trial. If you fail to notify the Court, it may be necessary for you to make two court appearances. Only summonses with a checked court appearance will be listed on the court agenda.
If payment is made by mail, do not send cash. Please send a check or money order payable to :
Bridgewater Township Municipal Court
100 Commons Way
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
(Please wait approximately 1 week after you were issued the ticket to check the website)
Payment is due on or before the date listed on the bottom of the summons. Please have the PREFIX and TICKET NUMBER ready before you call. Violations accepts either check or money order via the mail. If you respond to Violations in person, Visa and MasterCard may also be accepted. If payment is received after that day, a late fee may be assessed. If you would like a receipt, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope. If your license is suspended as a result of this ticket, the receipt must be taken to Motor Vehicle Commission for reinstatement.
If “Safe Corridor”, “65 MPH Zone”, or “Constructions Zone” is checked on the front of your ticket, you must contact the court to determine the penalty because certain fines are DOUBLED in those areas.
Office hours for payments in person are Monday, Thursday and Friday at 8:30 a.m. On court days the payment window opens at 9 a.m. The payment window closes at 4 p.m. however, we can only accept credit card payments until 3:30 p.m.
If you fail to appear in response to a summons or to pay the prescribed penalty, additional penalties may result. A warrant may be issued for your arrest and your driving privileges in New Jersey may be revoked.
Don’t assume you are scheduled for court just because the front of your ticket has a court date listed.
READ THE BACK OF THE TICKET IF YOU WISH TO PLEAD NOT GUILTY!